Monday, August 13, 2012

Scarlet (O'Hara) Fever

I don't feel like it.  Look how beautifully restful I am!
Later.  Once I have some money.  As soon as we get through <fill in random event>. Next week. In the Fall.  Once school starts.  After the holidays.  Let's get over this busy hump.  Next month.  Once I lose weight.  Not now. Don't feel like it.  When the kids aren't in daycare. Once we have more time.  After all...tomorrow is another day!

Despite my facade of being a go-getter, I'm really quite a procrastinator.  And it kills me because it's truly a trait I can not stand in others.  I suppose I can still claim to be a go-getter as I tend to put many things out there that I really do want to...um...go and get (?), but I put off and delay moving in the right direction to accomplish my going and getting. 

I want to be more fit and healthy.  I want to feed my family better. I want to watch less TV and spend less time with my eyes on my iPhone.  I want (and need) to be more organized at home and at work.  I want to ride my bike more.  I want to play guitar and sing regularly.  I want to save money.  I want to have more energy.  I want, I want, I want....

These aren't exactly unattainable goals.  It's not as if I'm saying I want to start a modeling career or get a PhD in physics.  If I want to ride my bike more, I could actually put my garage door up, roll my bike out, check the tires, hop on and start peddling.   Our television has an on/off switch so I could  turn it off and read a book or play more with my kids.  Or work on organizing the home office.  But most times, I reward myself for having a busy day by plopping in front of the TV, eating ice cream and doing nothing.  Congratulations to me! 

After eating out last night, my husband and I had the conversation (once again) that "starting tomorrow" we were going to get on a better track.  Better eating, more exercise, more energy, etc.  But we weren't starting then...we were starting tomorrow.  Why do we ever think that tomorrow is the better time to do anything?  I fear that I will have only a life filled with tomorrows if I don't make a very big shift within myself. 

A few months ago I had written a post on nuggets of wisdom that come at the right time (click here to read it).  I get a little book from Unity called the Daily Word, and today's page was titled "The Time is Now."  It reads "Now is the time to flourish, to live life fully, to claim the full wealth of my good!" I am grateful that this little nugget popped up today and I'm hoping I will get a fire in my belly to stop putting off all of the goodness that will contribute to my life.

So I guess I have started!  I began this blog post about two weeks ago and kept putting off finishing it, until now.  I have a dinner menu prepared for this evening and a short to-do list to get a few things checked-off around the house.  I'm not even turning the TV on tonight.  I think I may be feeling that fire.

After all...today is the day!  (Sorry, Scarlet)

No comments:

Post a Comment